...welcome to the musings of the flawless amour...

Sunday, October 23, 2011

How Strong is Your Faith?


Just last night, I was having a conversation on faith only to have that same conversation reaffirmed this morning in church.  As soon as I made the correlation, I took that as reassurance that my dreams will come true...

...if I do my part.

My mother has always told me that "faith without works is dead" (James 2:26 I believe) and I am starting to believe it even more as I grow older.  Yes, I can dream of where I want to be or what I want out of life until I'm blue in the face but if I don't take the necessary steps to achieve those goals, all I'll ever be is a dreamer.  I know I don't want that for myself.

Week after week, my pastor does everything in his power to encourage us to praise God unashamed in praise and worship.  I've always been one to believe that it does not take all the theatrics displayed and vowed I would never allow myself to look that way.  I understand that everyone expresses things in their own way but sometimes, I feel some take it overboard.  Like, waaaay overboard.

Growing up in Baptist churches for most of my life, those overboard theatrics was all I knew so can you blame me, being the shy soul that I am, that I was a bit reserved with my praise?  Y'all know what I'm talking about.  The random shouts, full out sprints around the whole church.  The falling out and crying.

Does it really take all that y'all??

My point is this: God is going to bless me regardless.  The speed in which I receive those blessings depends on me and my praise.  If it is not evident to God that I'm thankful for what I have now and that I'm a good steward of the small things, how/why would he bless me with something bigger?  I admit that my praise and worship could use a bit more enthusiasm and I plan to work on it in the coming weeks (don't rush me though...I like to take my time with things).  I don't want God to think that I am ashamed of him or even ungrateful for the life he gave me along with his other provisions.

My pastor blessed his father with a 2002 Cadillac Escalade this past week.  God made it so that the son (my pastor) could bless his father with one of the desires of his heart all because the father had been a faithful servant to God.  I've been a member of that church for about 4-5 years now and I've watched both my pastor and his father, the assistant pastor, grow that church.  Hearing that testimony this morning encouraged me to continue to grow my faith in God as well as not be ashamed to praise God for his goodness (remember, no rushing).

I hope this can encourage some of you to do the same =)

No comments:

Post a Comment