...welcome to the musings of the flawless amour...

Friday, August 10, 2012

Day 10: Blessing in Disguise

Things are being revealed to me with each new day. Over the past year and half, my faith has been tested in ways that I could not imagine, patience tried and relationships on the verge of being ruined forever. If it wasn't for the undying faith of my mother, I'm not sure how far my emotions would have taken me. Through her, I've learned to take things in stride, all the while remaining prayerful that God will pull us out victoriously. When she starts stressing is when I'll know the situation just got real.

I witness greatness tonight and in that, I've found somewhat of a silver lining in my situation. My 13-year-old brother and his school's choir hosted their first concert tonight. I called off from work just so I could support him and his choir. The fact that these babies can SANG didn't hurt either. Anyone who has met my baby brother knows that he is a certified character. Where I shy away from the spotlight he runs to it, wanting to have his hand in everything. Since he was a toddler, singing and performing have proven to be his first love. Tonight was the start of his career as a singer and I couldn't be more proud of him.

Having been removed from the traditional Baptist church for over 10 years, I forgot how amazing the choir can be not to mention the theatrics of it all. I honestly had an amazing time watching the entire audience praise the Lord with the choir. I watched as people were touched by the Spirit, causing them to shout in joy. It's one thing to see an adult catch the Holy Ghost but to see a young child is something else. It brought a smile to my face watching them praise with no inhibitions.

Their choir director, a product of the legendary Walt Whitman and the Soul Children, held no punches for his "babies". All their hard work throughout the summer paid off tonight. Mr. Whitman himself even blessed us with his presence but it was when he took the stage to direct the Oakdale Christian Academy choir. If you are unfamiliar with Walt Whitman and the Soul Children of Chicago, please stop now and direct your attention to Google and Youtube. Only then will you be able to understand the magnitude of the blessing those kids received.

I promise there is a point in all of this. Bear with me.

Two years ago, me, my mom and little brother had to relocate, putting us in a place we didn't really want to be in. Grateful, yes but it'd be a lie if we didn't admit to wanting to get out ASAP. During this time, I've noticed a change within myself that I don't like. My patience is completely shot, irritated by the smallest of things. I try to spend more time out of the house than in. My mom constantly tells me that there's a reason for all of this, we just have to trust God. He has a plan and our job is to just walk on through without complaining lest we miss our blessing.

There is a reason we're still in this space, despite many efforts to get out. There is a reason God had my mother enroll my brother into that private Christian school on the south side, instead of keeping him in these suburban school districts.

Everything we go through is for a reason but, most of the time, we're all so focused on "Why me?" that we don't even realize what God is working on. He is working endlessly to set us up for greatness and all we have to do is acknowledge him. My brother has no idea what just happened to him tonight and it's o.k. because in time, he will. His testimony was confirmation for me though and my mom helped me realize that. In terms of my living situation as well as intended career goals, I have to be patient and learn to wait on God to move. In all the time it's taking for us to find a new place, God is preparing us. He's continuing to bring people in my path that I can connect with to help get me where I need to go.

I didn't understand at first and I was completely against moving into my grandparents' house temporarily but it was all apart of the plan. Things are happening, some of which are on the brink of manifestation and I cannot wait.

1 comment:

  1. Trusting in God is powerful, and takes patience. Patience that took me a long time to acquire, looking back I definitely missed a handful of blessings. You're headed in the right direction, God is listening to you, he knows the desires of your heart. Just continue to serve him faithfully.

    ReplyDelete